Turkish Breakfast

Now, I've obviously had breakfast previously in Turkey, at the hotels I've stayed in, but none has compared to the complete feast I've experienced on a number of occasions here in Kusadasi.  All I can say is Turkish Breakfast  (kahvalti) here makes a Full English look like a light snack!

Turkish Breakfast is popular on any day but particularly on Saturdays and Sundays.  I guess it is the Turkish equivalent of the family getting together for a Sunday roast dinner except it lasts for much longer!

On my first visit to Kusadasi in April last year, I was taken out for Sunday Turkish Breakfast to Hotel Kismet which has fabulous views over Kusadasi marina, from its balcony. 
View of Kusadasi Marina
We got there at around 11am and didn't leave until 4pm.  What a feast we had!  It consisted of small dishes of
 just about everything; bread, little cheese filled filo pastry rolls, eggs, sausage (sucuk), cheese, cheese, cheese, more cheese (all different), honey, jams (a variety), nut spreads (loads), tomatoes, olives, cucumber, rocket (slightly different to what we have in the UK but still delicious), fresh fruit, dried fruits, stuffed baked mushrooms and anything else you can think of. Something unusual to us but delicious (lezzetli) is a dish of mulberry jam with a crumbly cheese. It's all washed down with juice and of course 'cay' (pronounced same as Indian chai).  
Just part of the feast we had

  After a feast like this, how could I possibly not decided to make a base in Kusadasi?

Tuck in!


I've since had Turkish Breakfast on a number of occasions.  My Turkish neighbours welcomed me in January with Turkish breakfast and again last Sunday, and I've also been twice to a restaurant on the shores of Bafa Golu, a beautiful, peaceful lake surrounded by mountains.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When it rains, it rains

Stormy Weather

Dolmus - the Turkish mini-bus