Menemen - Turkish Scrambled Eggs

I love menemen!  Basically, it's scrambled eggs with onion, tomatoes, peppers, herbs and spices.  I'm sure there will be variations -I've just seen one recipe with cheese - it will depend on the cook, but it's fabulous and not just for breakfast.

I always found it a bit of a tongue twister to say until I realised it's the same pronunciation of one of the warm up songs we do at Rock Choir to the William Tell Overture - many men, many men, many men, men, men - and now find I can pronounce it perfectly.

The first time I had menemen was in Olu Deniz about 10 years ago and I loved it, being a fan of all things savoury and spicy.  I've made it myself at home and tried some variations.  One of my favourite UK home versions is to make the scrambled egg and add some cut up sun dried tomatoes and black olives and serve it on toasted ciabatta.  But the best version is Turkish menemen and my favourite place to eat it is La Terazza restaurant, which has Turkish/Belgian owners, on the marina in Kusadasi.


Before the lockdown, I was a regular there.  I'd drive to the sea front and park at the far end of the sea front just before the marina, as there were usually parking spaces available.  A short but brisk walk and I'd be at the marina shops and restaurant.  As the staff got used to me they'd say "Hosgeldiniz.  Menemen?" (welcome, menemen?).  More often than not the answer would be "Merhaba.  Evet, lutfen." (Hello, yes please).  I usually have a fresh orange juice and at least one Americano with it.  The Americano is served with either a little Ulker (brand) chocolate or a gorgeous little chocolate covered sponge cake.










The menemen is usually served with four little bread buns, all different and all warmed up.  It's absolutely 'lezzetli' (delicious).  I can eat it whilst admiring the view of Kusadasi coast and Pigeon Island.  Quite often, even when it was cold, a man would come down to the beach and go for a swim in the sea brrrrr.  

As soon as this lockdown is over, I'm heading down there to get my fix!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When it rains, it rains

Stormy Weather

Dolmus - the Turkish mini-bus