Ramadan starts

This is my first time in Turkey during Ramadan.  My only previous experience was when I was working and a third of one of my teams in Bradford were young Muslims.  All observed Ramadan so to help them during the day, we didn't eat or drank in front of them.  We put all birthday celebrations on hold for the duration but come Eid, we all celebrated together.  Likewise, the whole team had celebrated Easter.  We also had an explanation of what Ramadan was on our team notice board, as we did with all the Muslim and Christian important dates and festivals.

Last night, just as the sun was going down there were two loud 'booms' a second or two apart to signal the start of Ramadan. I'm not sure what produced the noise but I imagine it has been broadcast from the village mosque.  Sometimes I do hear the call to prayers, faintly, before the village dogs drown out the sound.  Now, I've also read that just before sunrise, drummers go round the streets to wake people up to take their breakfast before the daily fast begins. I'm not sure this happens in our village, and we are a distance from the centre, but I did wake up just before dawn this morning.


A few minutes ago, just after I'd taken this photo of the sun setting, there was a single loud 'boom' which signifies today's fast has ended.  Each family will now be gathering for their meal - iftar.  Hopefully by the end of Ramadan some of the restrictions will be eased to allow the normal gathering of family and friends to celebrate together, whilst socially distancing.  There are various names for the fast end.  I know it as Eid, from Bradford but according to The Slow Travel Guide (a fabulous guide on Turkey) it is known as Ramazan Bayramı – Şeker Bayramı or Sugar Feast.

Non-Muslims tend to focus on Ramadan being a month of going without food and drink but it is a holy month, the 9th one in the Muslim calender and is determined by the appearance of the new moon.  The month is a time for prayer, contemplation, reading the Koran and fasting; which includes smoking, sexual activity and impure thoughts as well as food and drink.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When it rains, it rains

Stormy Weather

Dolmus - the Turkish mini-bus