Driving in Kusadasi

I think I'm a competent, and definitely confident, driver but I was apprehensive of driving over here.  I've driven extensively in the UK since 1974 when I got my full licence and I've also ridden my motorbike in northern Europe.  With the bike, the only thing to remember is to keep to the right hand side of the road, particularly when turning left.  Also there are some minor differences in road layout and the lights but basically, it's a doddle. 

I've also driven an automatic in Tenerife and having 'fought' with the Spanish to get a parking space in a busy supermarket car park, it wasn't too bad.  My only experience of Turkish traffic was observing it in Istanbul and Antalya where the traffic was one major traffic jam with everyone vying to get in to a tiny space ahead; not too dissimilar to what I observed in New Delhi.  My thoughts, to make life easier here, were to hire an automatic but I was given a very good deal (there's always a deal to be had in Turkey!) on a manual diesel Renault Symbol so took the plunge.  The Symbol is very popular here and is, I think, a Cleo but with a boot.  Sedans are more popular than hatchbacks here.
Renault Symbol Dizel Araç Bilgileri ve Kiralama | Cizgi Rent a Car

With the gear box being to the right of the driver, initially I kept pawing at the driver's door with my left hand but I soon adjusted, although I did keep getting third instead of first when setting off.  I found it fairly easy to adjust to the traffic being the other way round to the UK and think there is a lot to be said for holding a full bike licence.  Even when driving a car in the UK, I'm constantly checking my mirrors so even here there have been no nasty shocks of a vehicle suddenly appearing from an unexpected direction.  As for the roads, to be honest, the main roads outside of the centrum (centre) of Kusadasi are relatively traffic free.  Most people drive quite slowly.  The road surfaces are in good condition with just odd bumpy patches.  On the main D roads (our As) there is usually a wide shoulder at the side and slower drivers will move over on to them to allow you to pass.  I also found they are pretty good at using their indicators - you know, the little direction flashers that people in the UK seem to have forgotten about. There is also the horn 'beep' which is used to say 'I'm here in case you hadn't noticed' rather than the more angry manner it's used in the UK.

On the dual carriageways, main intersections are often roundabouts with traffic lights on the roundabout as well as the main carriageway so having been given the green light to turn left, you may then hit another light on the roundabout that is on red.  The roadway at the roundabout is quite wide and rather than two lines of traffic; one turning left and the other going straight ahead, there is often a line up of traffic vying for pole position as if we're all competing in the Kusadasi Grand Prix.  

Motorbikes, mopeds and scooters slot in to any available space between cars at the lights and it isn't unusual to see three or more on a moped.  One day I did pass one that had been pulled by the traffic police and there were four men on it.  Not everyone wears a helmet, although it is law here, although people on large bikes, rather than mopeds and scooters tend to wear the full kit; helmets, leathers, boots and gloves.  An interesting side note was that I noticed the motorcycle police all have their name and blood group painted on the side of the petrol tank.  I don't know if this is common practice in the UK.

Having said the main roads outside the centre of Kusadasi are relatively traffic free, driving in the centre is a challenge if you are not used to heavy traffic.  At the roundabouts, traffic seems to come from all directions, scooters and mopeds will often use the breaks in the middle of the central reservations as a turning and they also, as in India, will take the shortest route from their A to their B, which may mean riding the wrong way along the carriageway. 

I don't think I've seen any double yellow lines (or whatever the Turkish equivalent is, if there is one) anywhere in Kusadasi.  There are hatchings at the dolmus (bus) stops where you shouldn't park (note shouldn't!) and there is no parking on the equivalent of, so cars park right up to them.  When driving along, just about the only way of realising you are coming up to a crossing is where you can see a small gap between two parked cars.  I believe pedestrians have right of way on these crossings but wouldn't assume it and I have been stood in the middle of one with traffic flowing round me.  Conversely when I've stopped to let people cross, they wave and thank me profusely so I guess it isn't the norm 😀.


Drivers seem to be able to park in the tightest of gaps with little room for manoeuvre front and back.  They also love to indulge in 'second line parking', which isn't legal but in the busy centre everyone does it as I found to my cost.  I'd managed to find a spot against the pavement and walked a short distance from my car, looking out for the person I was meeting to hand the car to.  Less than two minutes later we returned to the car to find it was totally boxed in with a car in front, one behind, one at the side and other cars front and back of that one.  The traffic police were nowhere to be found and we had no option but to wait the 15 minutes or so until the offending driver arrived having completed his shopping.  I've also witnessed where a driver had left his car 'second line' with his hazards on and no room for anyone to pass.  I initially assumed he'd broken down but no, he came back out of the baker a minute later, waved to the waiting traffic, got in and drove off.



Driving Clipart Drive Away - Driving Car Clip Art , Transparent ...


The motorway that goes to Izmir airport is the E87.  Road sign colours here are green and yellow on motorways and blue and white on the main roads - total opposite to the UK.  Parts of roads are toll roads but payment is taken from an account by the automatic scanning of a tag on vehicles which seems a much better method than having booths taking cash and card as I'd experienced on the M6.  Fines for not having a tag/paying are fairly astronomical though.  I have used the motorway and noted there are services but haven't stopped at them so don't know how they compare to those in the UK.

Due to the lock down, I've not driven for four weeks so the car has gone back for now.  I must also stress that my driving experience so far has been outside of the season so I can imagine that the centre will be extremely busy then, although they have just introduced a one way system which should assist the flow of traffic.

An alternative to using the car is the dolmus but that's another post for another day.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When it rains, it rains

Stormy Weather

Dolmus - the Turkish mini-bus