Two weeks later

It's now two weeks since we had the 'big' earthquake.  Aftershocks continue; there have now been over 3,000 although most are low magnitude, apparently.  I say apparently, as my neighbours on the complex say they aren't feeling them but I'm regularly feeling 'wobbles' which I've put down to my balance problem.  It starts to settle but then a strong aftershock, which I don't notice, sets it off again!  

In the main the shocks, whilst generally of low magnitude, are now also happening further away like ripples in a stream.  Occasionally there is the odd bigger one, although not as big as the first one.  For nearly two weeks, I hadn't ventured any further than the shopping centre, just in case!

Muzo in charge of the BBQ!
Last weekend, Serkan declared that we were having a barbecue on Sunday.  A long table was set up, half in and half out of the restaurant, which at first I thought was strange but then the barbecue was set up at the end of the table and Muzo started to cook. We had mezze and bread to keep us going until the meat was ready.  The meat was cooked to perfection and was a mix of chicken, kofte, kebabs and plentiful; I actually had to decline the last offerings as I was stuffed!  And we finished off with a plate of mixed fruit, then halva, which I'd never had before but was gorgeous, and roasted chestnuts.



On Wednesday, my neighbour took me for lunch to a lokanta set on a bend in the main road, on the way to Davutlar, which is the next town along from us.  The translation of lokanta is restaurant but seems to be reserved for this specific type of eatery.  What a lovely place it is with fabulous food.  I guess you'd call it rustic but it's very clean!  It's a smallish stone building, which houses the kitchen, but then expands out in to a number of 'rooms' which are basically each a tin roof with half walls but with plastic roller windows for winter.  A large sorba (wood burner) is central with the chimney helping to distribute the heat.  The tables have pretty cloths but a glass topping and each chair is painted a different colour.  There are even some larger tables with 'church pew' type benches upholstered in carpet.  At the front is a sizeable, open air, fruit and vegetable stall and the bread making oven is set next to it.

At a lokanta, you go up to the counter and select dishes which are served to you from .  large metal catering tubs, a little bit like in a school canteen.  I had a stew which was chip shaped potatoes, with onions and tomatoes and little oval shaped kofte.  I also had some small rice stuffed vegetables.  Other options were a beef stew (kavurma), green beans, what looked like homemade baked beans and what I think might have been an aubergine mash.  If you are really hungry, or a large party, you can have a bit of everything!  You let them know where you are sitting and it's all brought out to you along with a basket of ekmek (bread) which was light, fluffy and holey, a bit like a crumpet.  Topped off with a few glasses of cay (tea) and a small piece of baklava, it was lezzetli (delicious).

On Thursday I went for my first walk since the big quake.  I've researched 'earthquakes' - what can happen and also what to do if one does occur and am now cautious rather than frightened.  I can easily get in at least 6k steps and, should another quake happen, there are a lot of open areas and the houses are only two floors.  There are some hotels with more floors but all the buildings seem to be fairly modern.  Along my walk are a number of restaurants.  One has told me they are staying open all year but whether the others will remains to be seen. 

View at Blue
One, Blue, is very pretty painted white and blue and plays what I call 'relaxing on the beach' music. 
Steak at Diamond Beach




Another, Diamond Beach, I've eaten at a few times and on Thursday had steak, chips and salad there.  Absolutely delicious and at 59tl cost me about £6.

View from Diamond Beach upper floor




Whilst I was at Diamond Beach, the chef was outside making sure the squid was well and truly dead!  He was repeatedly hitting it with a thick wooden stick which I realised was to break up the cartilage so he could get it out.



Yesterday, Saturday, I set off for a short trip down to the marina to a shop that sells 'Evil Eye' trinkets but in the end decided to 'face my fear' and went back to Ladies Beach.  I walked to the far end to the White House restaurant, where I was when the big one happened, but didn't go in.  I bought myself an 'Evil Eye' bracelet, key ring for the apartment keys and a  Kusadasi spoon rest to use in the apartment.  I have a 'thing' about buying spoon rests when abroad but they shouldn't have the resort or country name on.  This one does have Kusadasi on in big letters though.  Just got to go down to Kusadasi centre and then I'll be back to normal.

Now it's time to watch the Turkish Grand Prix and can't believe it's raining in Istanbul.  Nice and sunny here!


Comments

  1. Sue you have made me hungry reading this, the food all sounds fabulous!! It's good that you're able to venture out a bit further now, I can understand why you'd have been a bit nervous at first! How are the restrictions over there now? Even though we're meant to be under lockdown you wouldn't know the difference over here when you look at social media and the telly. We go shopping once a week and I pick my granddaughter Daisy up from school 3 days a week and the roads etc are just as busy. We don't go near asda anymore, choosing Morrison's in Rothwell cos it quieter. It's all a bit of a buggar really isn't it!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

When it rains, it rains

Stormy Weather

Dolmus - the Turkish mini-bus