The strangest thing....

 It's now 6 days since the big earthquake hit Izmir and the surrounding area.  I specifically say 'big', because there are still aftershocks happening regularly; about every 20 to 30 minutes.  I've also been checking on the real time map that I shared with you previously and can see that the quakes and aftershocks are spreading across a wider area.  There have been a few biggish ones; 3.9 in Georgia, a 3.7 in the sea off Istanbul, 3.4 off Samos which we felt and there are smaller ones happening inland and off the coasts of Antalya, Kos and Rhodes as well as locally.  We have been warned to expect another big one but we don't know if the recent 4 was it, or when it will happen, or where.  Despite this constant worry, everyone is carrying on with their day to day lives, although personally, I've given up walking at the beach and other than quick trips to the shops, I'm staying on the complex for the time being.

As frightening as it is, I looked back at previous months and saw that low level magnitude earthquakes are happening constantly in the region.  Whilst the fear of another big one is still here, it has helped me to take a more balanced view of the number of aftershocks happening.  I'm also fortunate in that where we are, in very modern low level apartments built to withstand most earthquakes, high up and near open spaces, we are probably as safe as we can be.

As of yesterday, 116 people have died in Izmir and at 6 days, the search for survivors has ended.  There are many injured both in Izmir and surrounding areas and many buildings that didn't collapse have been damaged.  Some may be repairable but others will have to be demolished, structural surveys are being carried out by the local councils.  Generally, the buildings that are severely damaged are old and built before the current regulations.  Some of the injured were hit by items falling in their homes or out in the streets which is why you get under tables or head for open spaces, depending on where you are at the time.

In Kusadasi, tents have been set up in the local stadium for those who are now temporarily or permanently homeless and everyone is rallying round to provide clothes, food and household items for them. And of course, Covid-19 is still a threat here.  At this point, you might understand why I have absolutely no sympathy for those in the UK whinging about their current lockdown situation or loss of their 'rights'!

For 16 years, I have suffered from labyrinthitis.  In that time, I've had two severe attacks; the first and worst one lasted 14 days before tailing off and the second which wasn't quite as severe lasted about as long.  Every now and then I 'wobble' and sometimes get a quick 'head over heels' and is the reason I stopped riding a motorbike!  The earthquake seems to have brought it on again although, if it has, it's quite mild.  I can't tell if I'm feeling aftershocks or it's just 'me'.  Or maybe I'm more sensitive to them because I felt a 5.0 Friday night, that no one else near me felt!  The other thing was my Kindle, which I was reading at the time of the big one, is playing up.  For the first few days it was being very awkward but now, whilst the on/off button is still being a bit temperamental, it's settled down considerably.  It is 16 years old so maybe time to get a new one when I get back to the UK.  I've already had a look here and can only find one second hand one; nearly as much as a brand new one is in the UK.

The other strange thing is almost funny.  About two days before the quake, I said to my neighbour that I was sure the island of Samos had moved a bit closer to the Turkish coast ha ha.  I was told it sometimes seems nearer due to the weather and is an optical illusion.  But now, I'm not so sure.......πŸ˜‰  I have my UK phone switched on in Turkey and it links to Turkcell.  I don't use the mobile service and just use it connected to the apartment wifi.  Yesterday, I was trying to watch UK TV but the programmes on all stations seemed to have changed.  I knew BBC had made some changes due to the US election coverage but it was evening before I realised that my UK phone time had changed to GMT + 2, had connected to Cosmote and is telling me I'm in Greece!!  Cue strange phenomenon music 🎡🎢🎡🎢.

Today's photo I took outside the restaurant I was at on Ladies Beach about 10 minutes before the big one hit.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When it rains, it rains

Stormy Weather

Dolmus - the Turkish mini-bus