Manchester to Izmir


I had intended to continue my blogs whilst back in the UK but as I did very little, didn't see the point. Initially I did, on limited occasions, meet family or friends but then Calderdale, where my UK house is, was put on local restrictions so I no longer met with anyone.  I went shopping and for walks and that was it.  I still can't see my son or dad so what is the point of staying in the UK?  Plus, I got so incensed with 'deniers' who think it's all a scam and won't wear masks or social distance. I actually had a 'do' with one outside Sainsburys which I posted about on my personal Facebook page.

My return flight to Izmir was booked for Monday 12th October with Jet2 but then the UK government put Turkey on the naughty list.  The package companies immediately cancelled their packages until the 17th of October initially and then extended it to the end of October.  I was booked flight only with Jet2 and had assumed I'd be OK as my flight was within the first 14 days of the ban, thinking that they have to fly out even with empty planes to bring those on packages back.

Then suddenly on 7th October, I got an email telling me that my flight was cancelled and I'd be refunded, which was done same day.  Panic mode!  I looked on the Jet2 app and there were only 2 flights leaving Manchester on 9th and 10th, both at 0630 😮.  My original flight had initially been at a comfortable 1730 and then changed to 1130 but still OK for getting to the airport.  I then looked on Skyscanners thinking maybe Easyjet or Ryanair but Jet2 were the cheapest but were still showing my Monday flight.  So I went back to the Jet2 app debating whether to go 9th or 10th only to find that the only flight now available was 9th so I booked it.  Luckily, I was already organised to go and I just had to cancel an appointment and change my arrangements for getting to the airport.

I then found out that Jet2 had cancelled all flights from the UK to Turkey after 9th, the last flight from Izmir to the UK was on 10th and for Bodrum, Dalaman and Antalya it was 13th and that they were making people return early from their package holidays.  I could see that this was a good move administratively as many people had been trying to cut short their holidays to avoid or minimize losing pay whilst quarantining. From what I've picked up on they consolidated flights with some people having to land at a different airport than booked and then be bussed back.  Whilst unfortunate for those who had to cut short their holidays, from an economic point of view it was best for both Jet2 and their passengers and to be fair, I think we all have to accept that if we want to make any type of future plans we have to be prepared for them to be cancelled or changed at short notice.

I haven't seen announcements from the other operators that they were returning holidaymakers sooner, only that they were cancelling packages from 1st to 31st October.  Some hotels have taken the decision to close early with people not on packages being moved to other hotels.

Jet2 flew from T1 at Manchester, which is always busy and still was.  Queuing for security, many didn't seem to understand that they could queue and still keep 1 or 2 metres apart. I kept 2m from the couple in front and the chap behind me also kept 2m behind me.  One stupid young woman in the queue actually pulled her mask away from her mouth to cough, just as I was passing by as the queue snaked round!

Due to Covid restrictions, the restaurants and bars were closed between 10pm and 5am but Giraffe opened on the dot at 5am and I was able to get my avocado smash with a poached egg.

When it came to boarding, we were all called at once as there were only 16 passengers.  Oh, and the crew all had Jet2 branded, red masks this time.  It was another smooth flight and soon we were landing at a very quiet Izmir airport.  A short wait for my driver and hire car and we were on our way to Kusadasi.  As we passed various commercial signs I realised my Turkish lessons are kicking in!

So now, I'm back in Splendid Isolation.

Comments

  1. Don't blame you for going back Sue. At the very least, you have better weather there. Have a great time and keep us all posted.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

When it rains, it rains

Stormy Weather

Dolmus - the Turkish mini-bus