Isolation to Splendid Isolation




So, I've been back in Kusadasi for just over a week.  It's strange but when I returned to the UK it took me a few days to settle in, whereas I was settled straightaway here.  I know I'd been away from the UK for 6 months and returned here after only 3 months but I grew up in the UK and have lived in my home in West Yorkshire for over 30 years so you'd think I'd be more settled there....

To comply with the restrictions on those over 65, I'm on curfew from 8pm until 10am every day and if I want to go out of the province, I have to get permission from the police or council, not sure which.  The rule is also (for over 65s) that if you do go out of the province, you have to stay there for 30 days.  I don't know if that applies even if you only want to go on a day trip.  I'd love to go to Ephesus, Sirince or even shopping in Izmir but they are all in Izmir province and I'm in Aydin so I'll have to do some investigating.  I don't want to end up with a fine!

Masks are supposed to be mandatory outside of the house but it seems many no longer bother in the open air or cars although you can't get in to shops and restaurants unless you are wearing one.  Now the season is ending, and as figures have increased slightly, the government have announced there will be regular checks on businesses and individuals to ensure compliance with the measures and they are also recommencing random testing.

In the UK, I only left the house to go to the supermarket for a food shop, once or twice a week, and for a walk locally to get some fresh air.  Here I've been out most days, mainly to the shopping outlet as I needed to stock up on food and bits for the apartment.  

The exchange rate is very favourable to sterling at the moment so I decided to take the opportunity to buy a few things for the apartment that I'll need long term, such as an electric heater to supplement the aircon when the evenings get colder, and a deckchair/sunbed to use on my terrace in the mornings.  I also had a manicure and pedicure and treated myself to a handbag that I'd seen when I was here last time.  It's not a 'genuine fake designer' bag, I've no idea what brand it is but it's definitely my type of bag so I'm happy. 

Other than shopping at the mall, I've been once in to Kusadasi centre for lunch and once for a walk along the beach.  Whilst having lunch, I realised I was being very cosmopolitan.  There I was a Brit, in Turkey, sat in a Belgian restaurant with an Italian name (La Terrazza), eating American food (burger) and assessing requests to join a Spanish language FB page that I'm admin for......



Today, I've stayed on the complex but tomorrow I've arranged to go for a walk with a friend. Maybe I'll get some different photos.  In the meantime, here's tonight's sunset!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When it rains, it rains

Stormy Weather

Dolmus - the Turkish mini-bus