UK Bound

I've decided it's time to return to the UK, for now.  

Kusadasi is getting very busy with foreign tourists.  Despite being mandatory from leaving home, I'm seeing less and less mask wearing and the English haven't got here yet 😉.  There's also no evidence of any enforcement; even the police aren't wearing masks!  A month ago, it was quieter and everyone was wearing a mask.  I felt safe then but, particularly in the last week I'm starting to feel less safe. Even at the outlet where security check, before allowing you in, many people weren't wearing masks so they must have taken them off after getting in which is pretty annoying. Staff in shops are still wearing them, though.

Also, I'm no longer legal to drive on my UK licence.  I've been here 6 months and the requirement is for me to either change my licence to a Turkish one or leave and re-enter the country to get a new 6 months' allowance to drive on the UK licence.  Normally it's a quick day trip to Samos but the ferries aren't running yet so, as I don't want to change my licence, the hire car has gone back.  That means either use public transport or not leave the complex. 

I've also got personal stuff I need to attend to in the UK so now seemed a good time to go back.  Bit of a dilemma over who to fly with.  Turkish Airlines are only filling alternate seats, no onboard service although everyone gets bottled water, a sandwich and a pack with a mask and hand sanitiser.......but, I'd have to fly Izmir to Istanbul and self transfer and on some flights the transfer is from the airport on the Asian side to the one on the European side and I'm not doing it.  So, I've opted for Jet2.  They start their flights on 15th July and I've booked Izmir to Manchester that day, which won't have any tourists on, as they will have only arrived on the incoming leg, and hopefully has very few travellers or they'll all be 'expats' like me.

From my regular conversations with family and friends, they aren't going to the beach, raves or the pub, still exercising extreme caution and limiting contact with others.  I have realised though that I'll be Billy No Mates on my return as everyone already has their 'bubbles' set up.  I do find the UK measures rather confusing.  I'll be sticking to wearing a mask every time I leave the house and, in anticipation that the disposable ones won't be as easily available as in Turkey, I've bought a pack of washable ones.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When it rains, it rains

Stormy Weather

Dolmus - the Turkish mini-bus