Izmir to Manchester

I'll continue my blog as I'll still be in 'Splendid Isolation' back in the UK.  Well, everyone else is in their 'bubbles' or whatever, so I'm Billy No Mates.

Normally for my flights, I check in online, download the boarding pass, then I'm straight through to passport control and security thereby limiting my contact with others and I also get guaranteed cabin luggage.  For anyone flying with Jet2, I'd say their 'we're back' video is rubbish and they are giving out confusing information.  I've never been a fan of Jet2 as I always seem to have an issue with their flights but I'll try to be fair.

I didn't book my flight to the UK until about 10th July and after I'd watched their 'we're back' video.  I booked guaranteed cabin bags and, as instructed, checked in online and downloaded my boarding pass.  

Yesterday, coming through Izmir airport I had more interaction with others than normal!  Firstly, I'm assuming that temperatures were checked with overhead cameras I've heard of as no one took my temperature.  I tried going straight to passport control only to be told I had to go to the check in desk and then found out that my downloaded 'boarding card' wasn't in fact a boarding card and actually said to go to check in.  Then I was told I had to put my 'guaranteed' cabin bags in to the hold.  I don't know if this is a Jet2 or Turkish airport thing but I hurriedly took my laptop out and put it in my rucksack, totally forgetting my jacket (always get cold on the plane at some point) and my hand sanitiser.  I did have wipes and spare masks in my rucksack though.

For anyone who overstayed their 90 in 180 days tourist visa, you WILL get stopped at passport control.  As soon as he checked my passport, he said "Residency Permit" which I gave him to check and he smiled and said everything was in order.  All UK tourists who'd overstayed the visa had to leave by 11th July or face a fine and those who don't leave by a date in September or October will be banned from entering Turkey for 3 years.  I was OK as I applied for my "Ikamet" 5 days before my visa expired.  Once you apply, you are 'legal' to stay until you have been through the interview process and got your card, which I have.

Airside, duty free was open but I didn't bother.  All the cafes and shops were shut except for one where I got a coffee, toasty and water.  I could see that when they were clearing tables they were wiping them down with disinfectant so I felt as safe as I could.

When it came to boarding, I got the impression we were a test run for future flights.  One person took our passport and boarding card, tearing the strip off and handing back to us.  Then we had to unload all our electronics and switch them on.  I had to take my Kindle out of the case.  Everything was swiped with what looked like a small piece of paper about 5 x 1 cms.  Then we had to sit down in alternate seats.  When it came to boarding we were all told to come at once and that's when we realised there were only 15 of us which was great.

Four of us were asked to move seats for take off and landing so that we were sat next to the emergency exits and we had to read the instructions etc and we were given the choice of staying in those seats, which I did as there was more room, or sitting anywhere we wanted on the plane.

The plane looked to be a brand new as it was immaculately clean.  The main giveaway though was that whereas normally the no smoking overhead sign lights up with the seat belt sign, these didn't.  They were just a fixed 'no smoking' sign.

Now according to the Jet2 video, there is 'full service' and it shows a trolley with all the usual drinks etc.  We were told that there was no alcohol due to the 'new ways' (not a problem) and I got the impression we were on a very limited offering as everyone seemed to just get a tea or coffee and maybe a KitKat or similar.  No trolley but then were was no need as there were so few of us.  And there were no duty free sales either.  The flight was extremely pleasant and I didn't suffer the usual ear pains when we descend and even my water bottle wasn't collapsing as much as usual.  Biggest disappointment was that the staff were wearing normal disposable masks like the rest of us and not the designer red ones that they wear on the video 😀.

At Manchester, as we taxied to our gate, it was sad to see so many planes parked up.  TUI had gone to the trouble to make a display of theirs; all in equally spaced rows.

As we headed to passport control, police officers checked our Public Health Passenger Locator forms and gave us a slip of paper to confirm it had been checked and I had to hand that in at passport control.  All passport checks are manual and I had to temporarily remove my mask so he could check me against my passport photo.  It's still a bit of a maze getting to the control desks but they had made it a bit easier as there were so few of us.  

I was a bit concerned about my case as, being normally with me at all times, there was no security closing on it.  As I descended the stairs I could see the cases coming in out and I started counting.  I knew there were 2 ladies with 5 cases between them and I'd decided if we got to 16 cases and mine didn't appear I'd start flapping that it was lost but I think it came out about 14th.  Straight through 'nothing to declare', out of T1 and my lift was waiting for me.

We landed at 15:10 and by 16:30, I was at my house in Halifax but that's another story.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When it rains, it rains

Stormy Weather

Dolmus - the Turkish mini-bus