It Ain't Half Hot!!


It's getting hotter and hotter!  I don't normally venture out of the UK between June and the end of August; mainly because I have quite a lot of social stuff on in the UK anyway.  I've been to Greece and Turkey in late May/early June and September and although feeling very hot, it probably only gets up to 29° during the day and much cooler, but still cardi free, in the evenings in those months.  Here, at this time of year, it's much hotter and I'm struggling with the hotter night temperatures.

I usually go for a swim in the pool late evening.  Last night, I was floating around the pool at 18:30 and the sun was still beating down on me.  Then I have a cool shower, followed by a drenching of cold water, particularly on my head, and feel nice and cool but by the time I've dried off, I'm sweating again.  I can cope until bedtime but then I want to be cooler to stand any chance of falling asleep.

So, I've been on a mission to come up with solutions other than the air con units which I have in the lounge and the two bedrooms.  They are fabulous at blowing out freezing cold air (and hot air in winter) but seem to make my labyrinthitis worse and I wake up a bit dizzy. 

My neighbour has lent me a fan so what I'm now doing is, about 15 minutes before I want to go to bed, i shut off the bedroom with the air con on to get it icy cold.  Then when I want to go to bed, I switch it off, get the fan going and re-open the window for air circulation. Most nights I've been able to turn the fan off before sleeping but last night when it was still 37° on the terrace at 23:30, I ended up leaving it on all night. So far, it's keeping me cool and I''ll see how I go on with the dizziness.  If it works, I'll get my own stand fan.

I mentioned on another post that when looking for clothes I found that, although Turkey is a large producer of cotton, nearly all t-shirts and shorts are in synthetic fibres.  I managed to find a 100% cotton shorts and vest night set which I end up wearing late night and early morning instead of my silky wrap which is synthetic.  It's helping!

Right now, I'm sat writing this at the lounge windows which are wide open and although it's hot there is a cooling breeze blowing in from the sea but I'm still sweating. 

I'm sure that if I spend enough summers here, I'll become immune.  I remember when I was in Paphos in October 2018 and went to meet a friend who'd moved there, for dinner.  It was about 28/29°.  I was waiting for her, wearing a thin strappy dress and she arrived, wrapped in a big fluffy cardigan, complaining she was cold.....



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When it rains, it rains

Stormy Weather

Dolmus - the Turkish mini-bus