Freedom ten days on

Since my last post, I've not been back in to the centre of Kusadasi but I have been to the AVM outlet a few times.

A few facts first.  Masks are mandatory in public.  At all malls, you have always had to go through an airport style security scanner to gain entry but now the guards also take your temperature.  Over the last 10 days, there has been an increase in daily cases, slightly higher than the same period in the UK but this been since more of the restrictions were lifted and is within the expected increase.  Having said that, because of behaviour, or should I say mis-behaviour, in some provinces, it is now being more strictly enforced with a 900tl fine for not wearing.  It should also be noted that a programme of random testing for the virus and antibodies is now being carried out, as well as the track and test of case contacts that has been in place from the start.  Two separate owners on our complex have been selected and were 'done' yesterday.  They get the results soon.

On Friday when I went to the mall, apart from two brave young men who seemed to be making a big show of deliberately flouting the rule, everyone was wearing their masks and wearing them properly.  Security would not let people in unless they had the mask on properly and shop assistants were also policing the wearing.

The shops are open.  There don't appear to have been many, if any, changes to space things out but then the larger clothes shops are already quite spacious.  The smaller shops, such as Watsons and Gratis - small versions of Superdrug, are quite compact and in one the queue for the till is next to one of the displays so it's not possible to look at the display if there is a queue.  

All shops have only one entrance/exit open with hand sanitiser at the door.  Some have an assistant on guard to ensure you use it too as well as monitoring numbers going in. All the tills have perspex screens and there are social distancing floor markers, at the entrance, outside changing rooms and at the tills.  Some say 2m and others 1.5m.

The smaller shops have signs up indicating the maximum number of customers allowed in at once and I've seen barricades, usually in the form of a big sign, stopping entry and customers waiting outside.

In the clothes shops, it is possible to try on clothes and they have a regular cleaning policy in place and hand sanitisers to use before going in.

Barbers and hairdressers/salons are open with measures in place.  The one I use has a sign up saying the maximum number of customers allowed in, only alternate chairs are in use with the others taped off.  The usual, washable capes have been replaced with disposable plastic capes which are like clingfilm, sticking to your sweaty arms and neck 😀.  Masks are worn all the time by staff and customers and they do offer a replacement if it gets cut or wet during the proceedings.  

Friends know that I usually have a short, spiky style and the last time I had it done was in February.  I'd brought my own colour from the UK hoping I could buy it here but it's not sold in Turkey.  I have one box left and had been hanging on to get it done so it wouldn't be too bad before I went back to the UK but then of course we were hit with the lock down.  By now it was so long I'd bought a headband to hold back my fringe and the roots were starting to show.

I called in to the hairdresser expecting to make an appointment for another day but they said they were free to do it there and then but I didn't have the colour with me so popped in to the supermarket and bought the lightest one (I'm very white/blonde) in a brand that I can also get in the UK.  Well that was a mistake as it had an ash base so at the end my hair was the currently trendy grey.  It actually looked very nice but it wasn't me.  Also, my hairdresser who'd previously done a fab job insisted on leaving it longish.  It did look good when he'd finished but I've struggled to style it so after a week, I went back and asked him to cut it shorter to my normal style which he has done more or less.  I think next time, it will be easier for him.  They didn't charge me this time so I had a pedicure whilst I was there.  They charge me 200tl for cut/colour normally which I think is a bargain for a salon although my friends here tell me it's dear.  I also had a pedicure which was really attacked the dry skin and with nail varnish was 70tl (not even £10 on the current exchange rates).

I did go on a bit of a shopping spree as the outlet was fairly quiet.  I got another pair of shorts, a strappy top, pair of white skinny jeans and a white and gold t-shirt.  I'm now stocked up with summer clothes........for now.  The prices, to me, are so low, I just want to go mad buying.  There are two issues for me though.  One, I struggle to find the sort of styles that I like for hot weather - not a boob tube anywhere to be found, very few plain strappy tops and the dresses are too flouncy for me.  The other issue is the fabric.  Turkey is a big producer of cotton but nearly all the clothes are of synthetic fibres, which I try to avoid even in the UK in summer.  I'll just have to get used to it though.  I was also considering buying a new 'dressy' handbag but got crowded in by two assistants who were determined to sell me something.  When I find something I like, particularly when it's expensive, which at £75 it was for me, I like to think through what it will go with, can I afford it this month etc.  Usually the answer is yes (it always is with anything to do with clothes, shoes and bags) but if I'm not left alone to think, I just walk out which I did in this case.  I don't even think it was leather and I didn't recognise the brand.  Considering I got a lovely leather coat for £70 back in February, maybe it was too expensive and I need to look around more.

I took two dresses to the tailor in the outlet, to be shortened. Anticipating that there could be a language problem, I went in wearing a dress that was the length I wanted and with the aid of Google Translate, gesticulations and much laughter by myself, the tailor and his wife, we got it sorted. They are a lovely friendly couple.  Two hour turn round and they were ready when I got back. He'd thought ahead and produced two 20tl notes from his till to indicate how much I should pay him. In the village square there is a tailor shop, which I'd gone to first but it was shut although a machine and other bits were inside.  One of the village ladies, saw me and tried speaking to me in Turkish, through her mask.  When I said "Turkce bilmiyorum" (I don't speak Turkish" she explained with gesticulations that the shop is shut for good.  

So that has been my experiences of 'freedom' over the last ten days. Funnily, now I can get out, I haven't been doing as much walking as I was before other than walking round the mall.  It's just so hot!! 😎 Before, I used to go to Long Beach most days to walk along the promenade.  Before there were only a few restaurants open but I imagine more are open now.  I'll probably go tomorrow; it will be very busy today, Sunday.

A final interesting fact.  Yesterday, we were put on curfew from 0900 to 1500 whilst the high school children took their exams.  Next weekend we are on curfew on both Saturday and Sunday till around 1830 whilst the college students take their exams.  Schools closed in March and don't re-open until September so presumably there has been quite intensive online schooling taking place. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When it rains, it rains

Stormy Weather

Dolmus - the Turkish mini-bus